Sanford, North Carolina

Well, I had the displeasure of my poor mother being harrassed by a representative "Tammie". She acted sweet as pie, wanting to work with her/us (as it was her account but it was actually my phone). So I contacted this "Tammie" and attempted to settle for 60% of what was 'owed' (which was a load of bubkiss, thanks every so much Sprint!!!!) Needless to say, she failed to mention we needed to set up BOTH payments immediately or else we wouldn't get the deal. She said we merely had to agree to the deal and set up the FIRST payment, NOT both. First payment set up 1/18/08. 2nd payment was finally set up today, but not before "Tammie" trying to squeeze extra money from us to fatten her commission, saying the original deal at 60% was no longer on the table, and that I had to pay 70% now. WHAT? So after being talked to like I was in kindergarten and doing a little online research, I hung up on her and called back, immediately asking to speak to a supervisor. I got HER supervisor who was more than willing to help. I told him my rights, and he abided by the original deal, and I got what I wanted.

FYI, though, for those of you who need this info:

Write everything down, or tape record if you can. Catch them at their lies.

Negotiate by asking to pay less. You are more than welcome to pay less than you owe, its called a settlement, and falls generally in the 50-60% mark. You can ask for it in writing before you pay, to ensure you're covered.

Make them stipulate that, in paying or settling, they will NOT negatively report you to the credit agencies.

Get a statement in writing from the previous biller/account holder (in my case, Sprint) that they have terminated the account, and will not attempt to come after you for any remaining balances (if you settle) or any amount owed once paid.

One warning: If you negotiate a settlement for less than you owe, you could end up paying taxes on the unpaid portion. But if the unpaid amount is less than $600, a collection agency does not have to report it to the IRS. Make this part of your written agreement.

Always pay with paper checks, not electronic bank drafts by phone or debit cards. It's to your advantage to have a physical record that you've paid, plus you control exactly what you're paying and when.

Be sure to get something in writing when the debt is paid. That way, if it does come up on your credit report, you have something to prove it was paid.

Understand the laws in your state.

File a complaint (as i did). If you suspect that a collection agent has crossed the line, call the FTC and your state's governing office and file complaints. (Yet another reason it's good to keep a written or tape-recorded diary.)

And if all else fails, sue.

More great information located here

I hope this helps!!!

Product or Service Mentioned: Allied Interstate Debt Collection.

Comments

I want to know how you handle a debt you do not owe with this company ?.

Last year my wife had Sprint and the service was terrible, constant dropped calls, bad reception and poor quality so after our contract expired, we dropped the service.

3 months later they sent us a letter telling us our service had been diconnected, we knew this because we had it disconnected, however they told us we owed three hundred bucks, so I went to the service center and paid it because I did not want the hassle.

A year went by and I was called again and told I needed to pay more money, around 60 bucks for a reconnection fee, so I called Sprint and asked why I needed to pay a reconnection fee when I had the service disconnected and they said "Well since when you had your phone diconnected and owed money, you have to pay a reconnection fee".

Anyways I will not pay when I have already paid them for everything and was never, ever late paying them for anything and now it has been turned over to this collection agency and they won't leave me alone so what should I do ?.

If the ORIGINAL DEBT is more than7 years old, they will attempt to prey on naive people. Statute of limitations in CT states teh original debt must be brought before the court (Small Claimsfor most) within 2 years of the last payment. If they do not file a suit within two years, they are *** out of luck.

Allied INstate tried to get me to pay the interest but luckily being a paralegal I knew if I paid one cent on the date be it interest or the debt itself....that debts statute of limitations would start from square one...meaning....that one cent payment would have renewed the debt and they can take me to court.

I can't get thru to the number that called me iwth automated nonsense, I tried other numbers listed in these postings...anyway, if any debt collector contacts you in writing or phone,,,immediately write them a letter stating "I do not acknowledge this debt. Plesae send me proof" Once you get the proof of the debt, check the date on it..make sure it isn't within the statute of limitation time period.

You are the worst collection agency. Just 2 inform u that my husband and I had filed bankruptsy in 2005.

I am going 2 send a letter 2 the State of CT Attorney General Richard Blumenthal to complain to him that your Co. is Harassing me for a loan that is over 20+ years old. Impossible to have a hearing when I have no funds to fly. Your Co.

will be driving me 2 have a nervous breakdown or stroke 4 harassing and threatening phone calls that no one leaves messages. You lied 2 me that u call me back since we last had conversation last month.

I lost my job on Tuesday March 16,10 because Allied called my boss 6 times about agreement that was set up with them for two payments one on the 19th and the 26th of this month. they were trying to use our dept card on the 15th to get the mopney I recived a letter yesterday about the 19th payment for the funds to be there.

Which it will be. Then at 2:30pm on Tues. they tried can it was decline, they called back and said that they have a warrent out of Florida on us for a bad check. I did not give them a bad check and they will get there money on the 19th.

But in the meatime I lost my job because of them. What do i do now.

Dwight....What if the people in your company sitting in those cubicles are not willing to help you. I am willing to pay my debt, however, I have fallin into a finanical crisis. I am not able to pay what they want me to. I have told them an amount that I know that I can pay without having to fall short. I am a single mom of 3 and it has not been easy for me. I am also a state employee who only gets paid once a month. This is very hard having to budget and make sure I have enough in case my kids get sick or for any emergencies that occur.

I have tried to negotiate with you guys (Allied) and they just wouldnt hear of it. i have went as far as talking to a supervisor (DL) who has asked about my childs father..(he is of no help at all) but is that any of her business though?? i believe this is against the law to harrass me about something like that. So again what are we supposed to do if they are not able to negotiate when we are wanting to but cant do what they want!!! :(

I want to pay this but they wont even let me send a money order or anything..they said all I can pay with is a Credit Card which I dont even have!!

Any help would be appreciated! :)

I am a collector for the company Allied Interstate and I would like to relate my experience to the advice given by the thread starter.

You should take an active interest in documenting the negotiations with any company. Bill collectors, or the original creditor. Don't be so in love witht he shiny new phone, credit card or satellite dish that you fail to read the agreement you are signing with the company. Late fees, the entire recovery process, and cancellation charges are all in the contract.

Stop being afraid and being pissed helps nobody. You are speaking with a clerk when you call Allied Interstate, not the CEO. Policy does not come from the cubicles. So, save the yelling and cursing for the ballgame. Insults and degrading the clerk are also inappropriate for a business call.

You deserve respect, intelligence and a lively negotiation. I provide that for the people I speak to. I enjoy the give and take when doing settlements. I start at 80%, and let the debtor peel it back to 50%, if that is available. Sometimes the client will only allow 15% deduction, and there is nothing I can do about it. So, getting pissed at me does no one any good except for the makers of Prozac and Prilosec.

I have a debtor who is getting her bladder and second kidney removed. I check in with her at the hospital once per week, and when she asked me why I care, I told her that she owes $350.00 and she needs her health if she is going to be able to pay the bill. She is in my prayers, and I wish that everyone I spoke to were like her, charming and just needing a little cooperation and respect from me, her clerk.

I would like to apologize to those who have been hurt by any of our clerks' poor behavior. But, imagine going back to the old system, being thrown in prison for incurring and not paying on debts. I think that on the whole, Americans need to understand this:

By not paying for those things you have asked credit for, you are creating a wave of foreign millionaires. The vast majority of bill collection agencies operating in the United States are international companies with corporate officers who do not live in this country.

I must feed my two year old son, my wife, and myself. I will do any job to make this possible, and since I am paid in 'real' money, it is a 'real' job. So, stop the emotional violence born of fear and shame and hopelessness, and don't blame the clerk for the legal and aggressive campaign to get you on the phone. Offer a small payment to get started, adhere to your payment schedule, be firm on your commitment to dates and call backs, and document the entire call and keep the record.

It will get better for you, and when it does, be grateful to God for giving you the blessings and grace to get through your difficult time.

:( This company are horrible with the customers. I got a called this morning, they said that my credit card had been declined because I had a payment due to them today 7/30.

BUT... I had already made complete final payment with VERIZON early a few weeks ago. I needed new phone services, so I didn't have any choice but pay the complete final bill. Well, Allied said I yhad to pay what was agreed, because they woould not be getting notification of my payment to Verizon at least 30 days.

Are they FREAKEN crazy, I am not paying them again. They are so sneaky. HORRIBLE and NASTY, yeah MS. PAM.

I called Verizon they are sending me a confirmation letter of my final payment so I can shut Allied up. They got on my last nerve this morning, spoke with two people there and their attitude was rude and demanding.

I have tired to reach alliedInterstate at the number given (3xs) in the letter they sent me. It was asnswered immediatly by a female voice.\"You have reached Allied Interstate.

We are a collection agency any information we abtain will be used for sudh. This call will be monitered or taped. \" Then a male voice was heard. \"Thank you for calling Allied Interstate.

jWe are experiencing a high call volume, please press 1 or stay on the line for the next available agent.\" I lisistened to this repratoire for 30\'\' ,finally pushed 1 and got disconnected. there was no tone to leave a message or anything just silence and then the busy tone.

I have tired four different times and days with the same results. Wish I could do the same to them!!!!

I didn't owe them what they thought I owed them!!!!

Apparently you cannot read "Lui" Did you not see what I wrote in quotation marks??? Here, let me show you:

"attempted to settle for 60% of what was >>>>'owed', and they rejected me time and time again, harrassing me, etc, finally turnin the account over to Allied Interstate and landing on my mom's telephone doorstep, so to speak.

So get off YOUR high horse and do something more constructive with your time, like rightfully accusing someone, as your accusations were WRONG here, thank you very much!!!!

oh so what your trying to say is you have to feel like your higher than those collector>>?? you knoiw what your such a shame!

you have the guts to owe money and you want to pay only half of the money that you owed?? my god,,, if you are the company and you lend money to others, will you accept a payment that is half than the amount you lend.. your such a shame, and in fact those late fees and overlimit fees that has been *** in your account are legal! Meaning legal fees.

its in your terms and conditions or lets say in your contract.. if you are late you will be charge of late fees, if your are over the liumit you will be charge of over the limit fee, if you don't want to be called by a collector, pay your bills, !

Allied Interstate Reviews